Saturday October 29, 2011
Windy Winery’s Annual Chili Cookoff
Book your room now at the B&B just 5 minutes away from all the fun!
Dust off those chili recipes and join us for some fun, good food & music
Some Delicious Wine Facts…..
- Red wine represents 55% of restaurant wine sales.
- Bubbles in wine have been observed since ancient Greece and were attributed to the phases of the moon or to evil spirits.
- Ancient Romans thought seasoning was more important than the primary flavor of wine and often added fermented fish sauce, garlic, asafetida (onion root), lead, and absinthe.
- Grapes are the only fruit that are capable of producing the proper nutrition for the yeast on its skin and sugar in its juice to ferment naturally
- Traditionally, wine was never stored standing up. Keeping the wine on its side kept the wine in contact with the cork, thereby preventing the cork from drying, shrinking, and letting in air. However, wine can be stored vertically if the bottle has an artificial cork.
- The vintage year isn’t necessarily the year wine is bottled, because some wines may not be bottled the same year the grapes are picked. Typically, a vintage wine is a product of a single year’s harvest. A non-vintage wine is a blend of wines from two or more years.