979-525-4151   Check Availability

Washington On The Brazos State Historic Site

April 18th, 2011 by Pamela Murski

The B&B is located in the heart of so much Texas history, something this innkeeper truly loves and is mesmerized by.  Below is just a little taste of one of the most famous of all……

Washington On The Brazos State Park

This village — site of the signing of the Texas Declaration of Independence and first capital of the Republic of Texas — began in 1822 as a ferry crossing. Here the historic La Bahia Road (now Ferry Street) spanned the Brazos River.
In 1834 a townsite was laid out and named, probably for Washington, Georgia, home of a leading settler. In 1835, as political differences with Mexico led toward war, the General Council (the insurgent Texas government) met in the town. Enterprising citizens then promoted the place as a site for the Convention of 1836 and, as a “bonus,” provided a free meeting hall. Thus, Texas’ Declaration of Independence came to be signed in an unfinished building owned by a gunsmith.
The Provisional Government of the Republic was also organized in Washington, but was removed, March 17, as news of the advancing Mexican Army caused a general panic throughout the region. The townspeople fled too on March 20, 1836, in the “Runaway Scrape.”
After the Texan victory at San Jacinto, the town thrived for a period. It was again capital of Texas, 1842-1845; and became center of Washington State Park, 1916. It now contains historic buildings and “Barrington,” home of Anson Jones, the last President of Texas.

Comments are closed.